Today marked Day-1 of the XXV Congress of the European People’s Party (EPP) in Helsinki. Today’s plenary session featured addresses by the EPP’s EU Opposition Leaders, Party Leaders and the Chairpersons of EPP’s groups and member associations.
Ahead of tomorrow’s crucial vote to elect the EPP Spitzenkandidat for the 2019 European elections, Alex STUBB and Manfred WEBER debated on the main stage. You can watch it back here.
At the EPP Congress, delegates debated how to deliver a secure, sustainable, prosperous and fair Europe to all the continent’s citizens and how to address Europe’s migration challenge. Four policy papers and nine resolutions were adopted today:
- Policy Paper on a Secure Europe
- Policy Paper on a Europe for All: Prosperous and Fair
- Policy Paper on a sustainable Europe
- Policy Paper on a Europe that defends our values and interests in the world
- Resolution on Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova
- Resolution on a Balanced Society for a Growing Economy: Restoring a Confident and Prosperous Middle Class
- Resolution on protecting EU Values and Safeguarding Democracy
- Resolution on the situation in Belarus
- Resolution on Cyprus problem talks
- Resolution on a prosperous and secure Europe
- Resolution on Moldova
- Resolution on Human rights violations in the Palestinian territories
- Catalan attempts at secession are contrary to law and democracy
Following a vote at the EPP Political Assembly, Esther de LANGE was confirmed by Congress delegates as an EPP Vice-President.
Finally, the EPP Political Assembly voted on 6 November to accept the Belarusian Movement for Freedom as an observer member party in our political family and the Moroccan Istiqlal Party and Rassemblement National des Indépendants (RNI) as partners.
All the information regarding the first day of the EPP Congress in Helsinki can be found on the EPP’s social media channels, or on its dedicated website: helsinki2018.epp.eu