Respect the vote of the people, stop police violence and guarantee freedom of speech and assembly
The International Democrat Union IDU, the Centrist Democrat International IDC-CDI, the European People’s Party EPP and the European Conservatives and Reformists Party ECR are very concerned about latest developments in Belarus and the conduct of the August 9th, 2020 presidential election, which was not free and fair.
The world has witnessed a bold electoral fraud by the Lukashenko regime and the obstruction of the election process right from its beginning. We have witnessed severe restrictions on ballot access for candidates, prohibition of local independent observers at polling stations, intimidation tactics against opposition candidates, and the detentions of peaceful protesters and journalists.
In Belarus, fundamental human rights have been at stake for a very long time. But the time to forge elections results in favour of a small elite is over.
Today, the Belarusian people expect their votes to be counted accurately, democratic principles and human rights to be respected, freedom and rule of law to be guaranteed and their future to be determined in an independent and sovereign way.
Together as the IDU, IDC-CDI, EPP and ECR, we support the aspirations of the Belarusian people for a prosperous future in freedom and democracy.
Therefore, we jointly
- stand with Svetlana Tikhanovskaya and all oppositions candidates whose election success was stolen by the Lukashenko regime;
- recognise the Coordination Council, initiated by Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, as a legitimate representative of Belarussian people in demanding for free and fair elections;
- call for new presidential elections in accordance with international standards and under international observation at the earliest occasion;
- demand the security forces of Belarus refrain from violence against its own people; to hold those responsible for violence and torture to account and to release all abducted persons and political prisoners;
- call on the EU to stop financial assistance to the illegitimate regime of Lukashenko;
- demand a guarantee of security and safety of all people in Belarus;
- demand respect of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly;
- call on our members, partners and national governments, as well as on the EU leadership, to support the people of Belarus in their pursuit of freedom, democracy and independence; and,
- urge Russia to respect the national sovereignty of Belarus and to refrain from any attempt to act against the interests of the people of Belarus.